Benefits of using Cold Stones
Dispersal of tissue metabolism/congestion
- Alleviation of swelling
- Increases muscular tone
- Aids in reducing swelling and treating work, sporting and other accidents by helping to release blood in the affected area.
- Decreases muscle spasms
- Excellent pain relief with sore & damaged muscles
- Stimulation of the autonomic nervous system
- Increases tissue metabolism
- Revitalises and rejuvenates body parts
- Soothes irritation
- Cools down the body on a warm day or during hot flushes.
- Ease Menstrual Symptoms. Cold stones placed in the abdominal area will help draw swelling away from the uterus and thus may help lessen menstrual discomfort.
- Boost Circulation: Increases blood pressure & Heart Rate
- Refreshes and stimulates the mind
- Peripheral vascular constriction. (Restricts the blood supply to areas & pushes it away from an area that was previously flooded with blood.
- Produces an analgesic effect. (The body releases a natural pain relief substance (Prostaglandin) into the muscle when cold is applied)
- Decreases edema
- Some facial benefits include: Reducing puffy eyes, Relieving tired eyes, Lowering sinus pressure. (It is important to place a protective cloth underneath the stone, before placing cold stones on top of a client’s face.)
Why would you need a cold stone massage
- Muscular pain and spasms
- Sprains, stains and contusions
Benefits of Hot and cold stone massage. (Geo-thermotherapy)
Receiving a hot and cold stone massage equally can bring the benefits and pleasures of combining both.
In addition, massaging and alternating the hot and cool stones helps every cell in the body to receive more oxygen and nutrients and moves lymph thereby encouraging a more effective removal of toxins.
Blood vessels will rise to the surface and dilate when the hot stone is applied and then vessels will constrict and move blood back to the inner core muscles when cold is applied. The opening and closing of the blood vessels causes a pumping action within the circulatory system which brings in more blood to the lungs and heart. It’s pretty much a vascular gymnastics for the body. It allows the body to achieve the same level of relaxation and rejuvenation as going to a sauna and jumping in the plunge pool but with the benefit of a massage included.
The combination of the hot and cold stones are extremely relaxing and clients often can’t tell the difference between the hot and cold when performed by a skilled therapist.